As some of you may know, the Smithereens tribe will welcome a new member next year. And as walls can’t be pushed, it will get the room in our flat where we usually put most of our books. Major dilemma: we’re going to sorely need that space, but how to part with our beloved books?
In this room, we store:
- Travel books
- Cooking books
- Graphic novels, Comics
- Crime books
- A fair number of small size paperback literary novels
- A few odd-sized hardback art books (too heavy to mooch)
- Some language books, mainly Chinese and Japanese
- All kinds of guide books, from “How to finish your novel” to the Best restaurants of Paris, to some wellness, health, advice books
- In addition, this is the place where I keep all my writing projects, finished stories or aborted novels. And no, just in case you want to ask, I don’t plan to discard those (just yet).
The exit modes will be:
- Mooch (I gladly send overseas)
- Sell (for un-moochable, especially Chinese and French books, maybe dictionaries)
- Give away if I can get a charity interested in a batch, which I rather doubt after a few unsuccessful attempts (local libraries and hospitals already said no, too bad for them)
- Throw away to the recycling container (yes, I even consider this last option, with tears in my eyes and many heavy sighs)
- In last resort, pack to the basement for those I really can’t leave behind (and yes, Mr. Smithereens, I realize we have a small basement with already a lot of stuff inside)
Before tackling the tough decisions, I have a few To-be-read books among them, so the nice part of the challenge will be to read them and form an opinion so that I’ll be able to make an informed decision. I have braced myself with the prospect of parting with these treasures. I will be tough. I will be inflexible. I am (nearly) ready for action… next year (20 days counting).
Before this challenge starts for real, dear reader, I want to get your advice. How do you get rid of books? Do you have a method when making tough decisions about books? Obviously bad books are easy to get rid of, but those I have already discarded. Are there exit modes I have overlooked?
And, by the way, I selfishly encourage you to visit my Bookmooch inventory, that will be growing soon.